Friday, August 30, 2024

Mathematician, Scientist, Christian (a joint Christian and Science testimonial)

I will be traveling to Italy October 4-12, 2024, hosted by Faculty Commons, a ministry under Campus Crusade for Christ, International. I wlll give several talks in Italy, at least one or two to a university Christian student group (and their invited friends) arranged by Cru or InterVarsity staff. One of the talks is essentially my testimony as a scientist and a Christian. It is intended to be "evangelistic" and my personal apologetic for Christianity. 

The apologetics part of the talk may be a little understated, but I have often been bothered by those apologetics speakers who claim a "proof" of Christianity. I have no intention of "proving" that Christianity is true but I wish to argue that Christianity is a rationale choice for an intelligent person to make.

I attach links here to a video draft of the apologetics talk I plan to give in Italy, The talk is in six parts. If you get a chance to watch it (it totals 43 1/2 minutes), I would be interested in your reactions to the concepts, to the arguments. (My gmail address is KenWSmith54@...)

(Don't worry too much about video format or stuff like that, as I will be presenting the material live using PowerPoint -- and possibly working with a translator.)

When I recorded this, I was still dealing with the aftereffects of my second bout with Covid, so I struggled throughout trying to suppress coughing! I'm afraid you can tell that sometimes in the audio....

Part 1 (5:31), My upbringing as Christian and scientist

Part 2 (9:14), What the Bible and Science each tell us about our universe

Part 3 (7:08), What the Bible does NOT say about our universe

Part 4 (8:32), What Science does NOT say about our universe

Part 5 (6:46), Can randomness have a purpose?

Part 6 (6:19), Why I think Christianity is true

Any suggestions are appreciated!! thanks. (Feel free to reply on this blog or send me a personal email (gmail) KenWSmith54@...

Ken

PS. Creating this was an interesting exercise. I had not thought about some of these issues for some time and I found it hard to put my thoughts together!

2 comments:

  1. Have listened to the last two. Will do the others as well. I think these can be well received by any audience. Especially I appreciate the mild manner of your presentation style. In a public personal speaking event I sometimes find that the energy of that situation moves to speak more forcefully than I ought. Mild, as you do in these recordings (and as represented in your wordings on the slides), serves apologetics and such audiences far better, in my opinion and experience. Be blessed in your opportunities ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement! In mid-October I will update my experiences.

    ReplyDelete